Name: Cynthia Barbosa
Location: New York, USA
Facebook: Cynthia barbosa
Photographer: Kalson Wong
Makeup Artist: Cynthia Barbosa
1. What inspired you to get into this industry?
I’ve been in the industry for a long time. I want to make a positive influence on people using my platform. I am not the “typical model”. It’s all about embracing your true and self and curves.
2. How long have you been modeling?
Since I am 4, but I did stop from age 19-21, picked back up 2 years ago!
3. Who is your favorite model?
It sounds cliche, but I love Adriana Lima. She is beautiful and ethnic. She lights up a room with her smile, I aspire to have he same effect.
4. Were you always comfortable in your own skin and in front of the camera?
Not at all. That’s why I got back into this. I have a small scar above my lip from my childhood, I have some stretch marks. This has made me so confident just being myself.
5. Did you have any mentors who really helped mold and guide you?
I feel like I’ve gotten back into the industry and do everything myself. But Ive definitely had some people guide me and help me along the way. My friend Dara gives me the best professional advice to build my brand.
6. Do you have any tips for aspiring models in the industry?
Everyone wants to be a “model” now. It’s not about just being sexy, is not about the clout. Focus on maintaining your true self and if you want to do this, be 100% in because you love it. Not because everyone else is doing it. People who are passionate about what they do tend to go a lot further. And you can tell in there work, it’s art.
7. Do you have a WTF moment at a shoot?
Rarely, I’ve worked with so many people. One time that stood out, the photographer was putting me into these crazy ridiculous poses and was asking why I was so stiff, in my head I’m like “I’m not a doll, and the human body doesn’t do this naturally, no shit.” I do better with light direction, but I think I pose pretty well.
8. What are some of the biggest revelations you've discovered through modelling?
I am not nieve anymore. You learn quickly in this industry, it’s a cruel world.
9. Tell us something random about yourself.
I am a professional dancer. How do you think I work the camera so well?!
10. What are you most proud of?
Despite being thrown into an industry that changes people, I’ve remained myself.
11. When it's all said and done, what do you want to be remembered as?
That girl that came up from nothing.