HOPE YOU Do
Name: Layla Rain
Location: Richmond, VA
1. What inspired you to get into this industry?
I used to struggle with depression and anxiety. I have always wanted to model, but I always came up with excuses why I shouldn't. I had gone through a bad breakup and I had very low self esteem. I thought I was worthless and was in a really bad place. A year ago, I discovered weightlifting and my life completely changed. I realized that I could change not only my physical body, but my mental state improved as well. For the first time in my life, I began to feel like I had value and I could offer something positive to the world. I felt beautiful and I feel like it is my mission to inspire and motivate others who are struggling with low self esteem, depression, and body image issues. I want to show others that they can handle anything with strength and grace.
2. How long have you been modeling?
I have been modeling for a year now. When I'm in front of the camera, I feel like I can be everything I've ever wanted to be.
3. Who is your favorite model?
4. Were you always comfortable in your own skin and in front of the camera?
No, for years I struggle with low self esteem and depression, but I realize that it was preparing me for who I am today. I love the person that I've become.
5. Did you have any mentors who really helped mold and guide you?
My photographer friend Frank (@faceoff_images) has really helped me navigate this new world. Of course my mother inspired me to be the best version of myself and to success in every aspect of my life. She used to sing me the Joe Cocker's "You are so beautiful" when I was younger. That is my fondest memory of her before she passed when I was 14.
6. Do you have any tips for aspiring models in the industry?
Be humble. Learn from every shoot. Be true to yourself. Always strive to be the best you that you can be.
7. Do you have a WTF moment at a shoot?
I have been fortunate enough to not have any wtf moments. A group of small kids did almost walk through a sexy shoot once, but the photographer caught them before they did.
8. What are some of the biggest revelations you've discovered through modelling?
I've discovered that I feel so powerful in front of the camera. You can simply tell your story through your eyes-whether it's painful or triumph it is all beautiful.
9. Tell us something random about yourself.
My dream vacation is Bali! I'm obsessed.
10. What are you most proud of?
I am proud of the woman that I've become. I've been through a lot from losing my mother at 14 to being homeless for a period of time. I've learned that there is beauty in the struggle.
11. When it's all said and done, what do you want to be remembered as?
Fearless. Sexy. Powerful.
Any last words?
Be kind. Love yourself first. Meditate daily. Manifest often. And always be thankful.