By: Laura C. Anderson
Between the cold weather discouraging me from leaving my house and the lack of men to go visit once actually leaving – I can say with certainty and a little shame that I’ve spent my fair share of time on Tinder lately.
Nothing wrong with that, of course. I have a few friends who met their current bae’s on the trusty ‘Hot or Not’ app. Sure, you’ll probably swipe left more than you swipe right but when you finally do encounter a match that excites you, it makes all the time wasted somehow worth it.
In the last two months, I’ve encountered three men worthy of the ‘right swipe’ that I went on to speak with outside of the Tinder chat room. Of course, while confined inside the walls of the app, things seemed great. The boys used unconventional introductory methods and actually convinced me for a brief period of time that Tinder was totally awesome.
Once the conversation moved to texting the fire began to burn out. Each text was like another water droplet on the flame. I didn’t understand how these incredibly handsome men could be such poor communicators on the easiest form of communication there is. It’s not like the keyboards on smartphones aren’t workable. There’s even Emojis for all those incapable of expressing their emotions clearly with words. If you have an iPhone Siri will text out what you speak into the microphone. I mean come on people; texting should not be one of your shortcomings. We have sex to worry about for that.
All I’m saying is lately I’ve noticed a lot of men who haven’t quite mastered texting etiquette. I’m not trying to sound like one of those snobby girls who expect a text back within two minutes of my last response, not at all. I’m not even asking for a response every time. If I tell you I’m at the gym, I don’t expect a novella in return. I’m lifting weights, whoopdido – I’ll call you later. The following ten points are non-negotiable, though:
1. If you text me first, keep the conversation going. I don’t want you to say, “Sup?” just so I can respond with a detailed itinerary of my day and have you respond with, “ha cool.” Either talk to me or don’t waste my time.
2. Stop adding a ‘winky face’ at the end of everything you’re saying. It’s creeping me out.
3. Send me a dick pic before we meet and I will screenshot it and make it my Facebook status.
4. If you fail to use punctuation such as exclamation points, commas, periods, or question marks, I will assume you didn’t make it past elementary school and ignore you.
5. Use a freaking Emoji. You sound bored. Bored aint cute.
6. If I’m joking around or trying to be sarcastic, just go with it. Don’t turn a carefree joke into something serious.
7. If you’re flirty, funny or sarcastic in person, that should be conveyed through your texts.
8. General rule of thumb: Don’t ask me for a nude pic before you even know my last name.
9. 2016 Petition: Take away phones from anyone who finds it socially acceptable to respond using one word. Who’s with me?
10. If you vaguely ask me out, I will directly decline.
Him: We should chill sometime
Me: Yeah! I’m free this weekend, actually
Him: I don’t know what my schedule looks like yet
Me: Okay well just let me know!
Him on Friday: We should definitely chill soon
Me: Brain explodes*
I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me but I think there’s a fair share of men who could use a class (or ten) on texting etiquette.
WHILE YOU'RE HERE, CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER ARTICLES:
A week before Valentine’s Day, a new age, you-won’t-believe-it’s-not-a-joke dating app surfaced the marketplace. It goes by the name Hater and it’s pretty much ridiculous enough to go viral. Read up here on 2017’s most ludicrous dating app yet
It’s that time of year, again! The 2017 SKYN Condoms “Millennial Sex Survey” is out and Laura's ready to take you through the hot findings. Catch the full recap here.
Just when you thought you’d be single for yet another Valentine’s Day…a website that offers its users the ability to build his or her own virtual girlfriend or boyfriend. Yup, you read that right. Read all about it here.
She’s got that Girl-Next-Door, shy-with-a-wicked-twist-of-seduction look going for her. With her tousled golden locks, striking blue eyes, thick accent, and curvy features, she’s every man’s wet dream come true. I present to you the hottest Russian Barbie doll on Instagram, 27-year-old Ekaterina Enokaeva. Catch her here.
South Carolina Republican Representatives introduced a new piece of legislature to the House, and it might just cost you. Read up on it all here and let Laura lay it down.
TOP 8 VENUE PICKS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY 2017
Valentine’s Day is universally known as being the most romantic day of the year – and it’s just around the corner. Luckily, we did all the leg-work for you and narrowed down the list to 5 swoon-worthy date spots sure to send sparks flying. Tune in here, to hear all of Amanda V. Taylor's best ideas!
NEW YEAR, NEW YOU: RELATIONSHIP EDITION
2017 is the year of new beginnings, and for some, new relationships. That being said, here are 20 things you should do more of this year, and 17 things you should absolutely do less of.