Name: Rachel McKay
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Photographer: Vi Pa
Makeup Artist: Chacha Cosmetics
1. What inspired you to get into this industry?
Growing up, I've always been into the Arts, and I also grew up playing competitive sports. I was scouted at 18 by an agent, and had my first audition for a Disney commercial.
2. How long have you been modeling?
3. Who is your favorite model?
I wouldn't necessarily say I have a favourite, but many in which I look up to. I actually get inspired by many Fitness Models - Isabelle L'Ahela, Racquel Symons, and Lauren Brazier - just to name a few. :)
4. Were you always comfortable in your own skin and in front of the camera?
Confidence is something I gained overtime. I love being in front of camera, but I also like working behind the scenes. To me, being confident is the sexiest thing a women can have.
5. Did you have any mentors who really helped mold and guide you?
Absolutely. Michael Ryan - CEO of Fitness Star, and Darrin Robinson - my coach. Both have been extremely helpful throughout my career, and the best part is, we all understand each other. It's not every day you can find real, genuine people, that want to look out for you.
6. Do you have any tips for aspiring models in the industry?
Don't be a follower. You are your own unique self. It took me years to figure out my "niche" in the industry.There was a time where I felt like I was unsure of who I was in my own skin, until answers started coming to me.
7. Do you have a WTF moment at a shoot?
Ahaha. Yes. Haven't we all?
8. What are some of the biggest revelations you've discovered through modelling?
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Be your own person, and just be confident in who you are.
9. Tell us something random about yourself.
I have a twin sister. (People freak when they hear this.) LOL
10. What are you most proud of?
We all have a story. Going through hardships was the hardest/ most eye opening thing I've ever done.
11. When it's all said and done, what do you want to be remembered as?
This is hard to answer.. because I always think about others before myself. I care for people. I'm empathetic, and all I want is for happiness for everyone. xo
12. Any last words?
I want to make an awareness to Mental Health. It's not something to be taken as a joke.. I want people to know that they can reach out, and know that they are not alone.
End the stigma.