A Bachelor Haus Exclusive
You are at the point where you have your own place; you’ve graduated, have a job, and new responsibilities. You’ve worked hard to be where you are now. Below are several tips on how to create and elevate the look and style of your current bachelor pad.
1. Having a dirty bachelor pad is not an option anymore. It might have been an option when you lived in a dorm or a frat house, but those days are over. After working 8+ hours a day you’ll find a certain satisfaction coming home to place that looks good and is clean. Secondly, if you are dating someone and they come back to your place they’ll have certain expectations. If you can’t take care of yourself, how can anyone think you can take care of them?
a. Have toilet paper
b. Have hand soap
c. Clean kitchen and bathroom sinks
d. Clean kitchen and bathroom countertops
e. Trash can (empty when full, otherwise odors build will up)
2. Your living room is most likely the first room guests will enter. This is their first impression, and it should have a couch, coffee table, and TV console (at the minimum). These three items all should match. Finding a couch by the dumpster and relocating it to your place isn’t acceptable. Neither is hand-me-down furniture from your uncle. Don’t hesitate to spend money on a couch; you’ll probably own it longer than you think. Find furniture that reflects your personal style. Furniture that doesn’t match creates a disjointed feeling, and is visually unappealing.
For great furniture ideas visit www.bachelorhaus.com and use promo code “SKYN” to save $100 off any purchase over $799.
3. Your Home Theater System should be nice, but not excessive. You and your friends will probably spend a lot time in front of the TV watching movies, shows, and playing video games. This is an investment; keep in mind your system will also be used to play music at your parties, and friends will join you to watch sports games. You can pick up an adequate surround sound system for under $500 that both looks and sounds nice.
4. A stocked bar is a given. At a minimum always have available Whiskey and Vodka; both of these spirits can be easily mixed with either a cola or soda water. It’s ideal to have OJ and cranberry juice available as well. Additionally, have a white or red bottle of wine. Keep the white in the fridge, and the red in a location where heat and sunlight won’t affect it.
4. Every bachelor pad should have at least a few pieces of artwork in every room. These FRAMED pieces should reflect your interests or hobbies, and are used to personalize your space. Keep the art tasteful and sophisticated.
6. You are no longer living at home with your parents, or sharing a dorm room. Your bedroom is your own sanctuary, and therefore special attention needs to be placed in the room you spend 6+ hours in every day, regardless if your eyes are open or closed.
First, your sheets and comforter (aka duvet) should not be well worn or falling apart, if they are, get a new set. Neutral or earth tone colors work best and match just about anything. If possible your sheets should match your towels and hand towels in your bathroom. Women appreciate this, we as men will never understand why.
As for lighting your bedroom, have a main light that provides most of the room’s illumination and a light for your nightstand. Both of these should have dimmers on them, this helps set a particular mood for when your bedroom becomes the Honeymoon suite.
As for furniture, your dresser, nightstand and bed should all match, or at least be the same color. If you are still sleeping on a futon, it’s time for a lifestyle change. Invest in good pieces of furniture as they will last you for most of your life. Spend the money.
7. Having a well-lit bachelor pad is a must. It’s best to have a few different sources of lighting in each room. This is especially true if the main source is fluorescent. When looking for table lamps and or floor lamps be sure they are in the same type of style as your furniture. You don’t want your parents lights from the 70’s and anything that has a football helmet as a lampshade is a definite no-no. Save the football helmet for your man cave when your married.
8. You need a stocked fridge with food. Not all of your fridge space should be dedicated to beer. Think of the 5 food groups and you should have a 3 or 4 items from each group in your fridge. You never know when guests will come by, and you’ll want to show that you are mature enough to host people unexpectedly.
9. Your bathroom should always be clean including the walls of your shower. Have a small garbage can so you can easily dispose of trash. You are not going to impress too many women when they have your hair and fingernail clippings stuck to the bottom of their feet. Minimize how many objects you keep on your countertop, that way it’s easier to clean and looks better.
10. Have something that’s living. This shows you can take of another living object, and will add life to your apartment. Consider a Bonsai tree, very decorative and low maintenance tree. These indoor plants look great and also help with purifying indoor air: snake plant, lady palm, Chinese evergreen and ficus alii. Also, they are commonly available at any plant nursery. Just remember to water and it gets enough light during the day (turn your plan 90 degrees every 3 months so light hits all of the sides).
Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither does your bachelor pad have to be. Take your time; you don’t have to purchase everything all at once. For great furniture ideas visit www.bachelorhaus.com and use promo code “SKYN” to save $100 off any purchase over $899.
WHILE YOU'RE HERE, CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER FEATURES:
With an avant-gard style, and sleek minimalists lines, NemräC Style brings urban fashion to the runway. We say down with the brains behind Nemräc Style Carmen Popescu to chat style, design, and fashion innovation. Catch the full interview here.
That time we stumbled across one of the best freaking cover ups of all time. On Septeber 28th SKYN Magazine was invited to the official Dermablend Professional Launch Event in Toronto, and boy were we blown away. Read more about it here.
We all know that the right woman can change a man's life, but the right timepiece, now that can change his destiny. Check out our newest work with SPINNAKER for their Vessel SP5027 collection here.